Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Wait is Over!

The wait for significant action this indoor season is now over!
While it's nothing earth-shaking--on the Richter Scale, it would be a 3.0 quake (barely felt!)--this 2014 indoor season is now rounding the first curve!

I thought I had a dozen marks that found their way into my T&F Record Book.
But it's almost certainly just 11.
Before I get to those 11, I'll explain why the 12th is only "pending".

While checking MileSplit for all the HS results, I came across a truly incredible mark.
Supposedly, at the Texas A&M Invitational in College Station, a girl named Danyel White ran a HEAT (!!) of the 200 in 23.44.
If real, that would make her 6th All Time Indoors!!
Out of virtually nowhere!
Her previous best was 24.04 from 2013.
And she ran significantly slower in the final...about 24.8.

Now here's the problem.
Other sources say she ran 24.44 in the heat, not 23.44.
I sent 2 tweets to MileSplit telling them of this "typo", but they haven't replied...or changed the mark on their page!
So until I know for sure--and right now, I'm leaning strongly toward its being a typo--I am NOT revising my book with Ms White's mark.

There's already a Collegiate Record!!
It happened at the Penn State Relays.
Remember last season, when the Penn State MEN broke the CR in the 4X200 Relay with their 1:24.70?
Well, this year it was the Penn State WOMEN's turn!!
Their 4X200 squad shattered the old mark (VA Tech's 1:36.43 in 2008) by 0.78!!
The new CR is Penn State's 1:35.65, an average of 23.91 per 200!!

I reported in a December post that Abbey D'Agostino had run the fastest-ever indoor 5000 in December, with her 15:40.55.
And that is still the case!
But since then, I've uncovered 3 more 5000 marks that came VERY close to beating Abbey D's great mark!
These all occurred in 2013, so will be listed as 2013 marks, even though they came in the 2014 season!
They are:
Emily Sisson's 15:40.62.  (Just 0.07 from Abbey D's mark!!)  This makes her 14th fastest Collegian A-T!
(It also elevates her position on the US list...from 23rd to 17th!!)
Sarah Collins's 15:41.00 (in the same race at Boston U)  She's now # 16 A-T Collegian!
Laura Nagel's 15:42.60 (same race)  She's now 19th A-T indoors on the Collegiate DDD!

Two BIG names were removed from the list by Collins's and Nagel's entries.
(Sisson was on the list already, in 21st place, but she moves up to her 14th slot, as noted above!)
Anyway, gone are Amy Yoder (Not Yoder-Begley then!), who was 23rd, and Alexi Pappas, who was 24th.

Regina George, running for Nigeria, set a National Record in the 600 with her fabulous 1:25.76!!
I just re-entered the Indoor 600's to my book, and my records are preliminary and incomplete as of now.
But it looks like she's now # 7 on the All Time WORLD list!!!
(If I find out differently, I'll edit this post, or just add an addendum at the bottom!)

In Birmingham AL, pro runner Chanelle Price became USA Indoor # 11 in the 1000 meters with her great 2:40.03 on January 10th.
I was surprised she wasn't already on my USA Top 24 list!

Svetlana Biryukova LJ'd 22-10.75 in Russia, tying her at 18th on the World list with 1 other.
She also had not been on that list!
An "oldie", Valeria Constantin of Romania, who was in 24th with her 22-10 from 1988, was evicted!!

Moving into 18th A-T on the Men's HS Indoor list for the TJ is John Warren (Prince George VA) with his 50-9.25.
(See?  It's not all just girls making early headlines indoors!!)

In fact, two other guys get entries in my book!
Sam Kendricks PV'ed 18-4.75 to just edge on to my Collegiate DDD in 24th place!
Actually, he's tied there with 2 others!
And he's gone 19-plus outdoors, so we can expect him to "vault" up the list later this season!

The Age 27 indoor record in the High Jump was tied by Ivan Ukhov with a great early season jump of 7-9.75!!  Yaroslav Rybakov first did it in 2005!

Finally, a Purdue collegian WT'er, Dani Busch, threw 71-3.25, moving her into 24th A-T Collegiate Indoor!
She displaced 3 others who were tied there with a 70-11.25 for each!
But even more significantly, she edges onto the USA list too!!
She's now 24th All Time American!!
(Two lists for the price of one WT!!  Heh.)

Thursday will be the first wave of the Nike Oregon Project's Records Chase at Boston University.
Those marks....and others...will surely be in next week's post.
(Not saying there won't be other posts coming before that one!!)

Until then....!!

ADDED January 14:

That "23.44" for Danyel White was a typo.
Still haven't received a reply from MileSplit, and their HS page still shows 23.44.
But T&FN now lists it as 24.44, so I will accept that.
That mark does NOT make it into my book!




1 comment:

  1. I like your (relatively new) blog. Great statistics. Perhaps a bit US-centric in your predictions.

    ReplyDelete