Tuesday, October 13, 2020

UNmasked Look at T&F 2020 OUTdoors

 For long time readers of my blog, you know that the "OUTdoor" season normally begins with my coverage of early Relay meets--Texas, Florida, Penn, Kansas, Drake!
Toss in reports from the Boston & London Marathons, and all the marks from Down Under--which really begins on January 1.
Oh yes, and not forgetting "ending" the INdoor season with the NCAA and NBIN meets here, and the World Championships--wherever!

Then CoronaVirus-19 hit us like ten tsunami's, or 15 Level 5 hurricanes, or--well, you know!!

If you want the ENTIRE history of this Pandemic, check out "Think Global Health".
They have a COMPLETE (and very simply written!) day-by-day account of this Horror Show--when each Nation had its 1st case or death, when they shut down, what Trump said or did--or didn't do!
I just found it a few days ago--and it SCARED me half to death!!

But this blog is about Track and Field--and XC and Road Racing, not the Pandemic!
Yet I must talk about what it's done to our 2020 season--beginning right around the first of March!

We'd just had the USATF meet, and were looking ahead to the NCAA & NBIN & the WC's!
Then--POOF!!--they're GONE!!
Cancelled or postponed, but gone!

No INdoor Collegiate, HS, or World Champs this year!
None of those above listed Relays, or any of the great Stanford distance affairs.
No Spring Marathons!!

And then--no early Diamond League meets, and others delayed!
Finally, no Olympic Games in Tokyo--or at least not until 2021!!

For these "looking back" posts I've been doing since my cataract surgery, I've relied mainly on the eTN put out by Track and Field News!
One indication of what's happened this year is to see the last results eTN dated from right after the INdoor USATF meet.
The NEXT one BEGINS with results from OUTdoor meets--in JUNE!!
About THREE months had gone by--no Track Newsletter, no Meets, NADA!!

Well, I'm about to tell you of the results that DID happen since those June meets!
As with my last 13 posts, I'll recount the Marks and Records in chronological fashion.
I have no idea how many posts it will take to bring you--and me--and this blog!--up to the present day!
But please continue with me on this Journey of Discovery (I couldn't see very well, so I don't even know all of what happened these past few months!).
As ever, you'll get ALL of the great Records and Marks I can find!

One more thing.
Because of the "odd" nature of these "meets"--or "competitions"--I will be adding extra commentary along the way, mainly when I believe certain events or marks might be "questionable"--due to the "social distancing" and such!

Thanks for reading!
I am LOVING this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment