Friday, August 19, 2016

As Rio (& Life) Go On

I have LOADS of fantastic results to report, including many more Records of various kinds.
But the greater world of LIFE intrudes on my desire to keep this blog on the straight and narrow path of T&F Records & Marks.
In that regard, I must interrupt my reportage to relay some sad news.

In the past 2 days, I've learned that two of America's best athletes have cancer.
These people have often been in my posts, with their times and distances---and I hope both continue to be!
Gabe Grunewald's liver has been invaded by a new cancer.
This is her third bout with the dreaded disease.
On Instagram, she told her fans of the discovery, and that she'd been told by doctors it was operable, and that she fully intended to be back competing in 2017.
And then just now--on Twitter--I learned that Bobby Colantonio has bone cancer in his left femur.
Just graduated from HS, he said he's going to fight this, because he wants to compete for Alabama (where he'd signed!), and to become an Olympian!

To these two wonderful athletes, and better people, I wish all the love and strength one mere fan can offer!!

But life intrudes ON the track as well.
In my last post, I related the beautiful story of what happened between Abbey D'Agostino and Nikki Hamblin, two "strangers" who became friends for life by accident.
I also spoke to the fact that clear favorites don't always produce as expected.
That is LIFE!!

And so is the sordid controversy surrounding the Women's 800 meters!
How can we speak about this---and be totally honest doing so---without bringing on hate and accusations of being misogynistic?
Say what you really believe, and people turn against you---even if what you say has valid points, and is the truth!!

I've been watching the Olympics on NBC---for better or worse!
Recently, I watched the heats and semi's of the Women's 800.
And what I saw--especially in the semi's--motivated me to write this "extra" post.

The discussion circles around 3 people--Francine Niyonsaba, Margaret Wambui, and especially Caster Semenya.
It comes down to whether we believe---and accept---that these 3 should be running in a Woman's event!
I'm not scientifically knowledgeable--at all!!---so please don't ask me to present facts of what constitutes a "woman", and why these 3 do NOT fully meet those standards!!
The IAAF and other agencies have defined these terms--and given data to support their rulings.
What is an acceptable level or percentage of testosterone in a woman's body, that one can still say---definitively!!---that "she" is a "woman"---and thus be allowed to compete against other women?

The angst rises when one says, "Screw the numbers!", and decides for oneself what constitutes the definition of each gender.
Back in the day, during the Watergate controversy surrounding President Nixon, I read a book called "President Nixon's Psychiatric Profile" by a Dr Eli Chesen, a professional psychiatrist!
In it, he analyzed Nixon, as any psychiatrist would in analyzing a patient.
He stated that he'd never met Nixon, and all of what he said came from observation through television, and reading about him!
I've never met any of these athletes, but I SAW them on my computer via NBC.

I looked closely at them, studied them, from head to toe.
I was less concerned with their running ability than with how they LOOKED!!
And please, I am NOT talking in terms of beauty or ugliness!
I speak in terms of how I---Aaron K--define a "woman", based on her "looks".
Again, I'm NOT referring to a woman's sexiness, or lack thereof, or to the size of her breasts or the curves of her torso.
"Butch" women are still--women!!

What I saw in Semenya and Wambui---and somewhat less so in Niyonsaba, but still there!--gave strength to my belief that these people do NOT belong in an all-Women's race!!
It's not their musculature--because many beautiful women are muscle-bound and have abs of steel!!
It's not their weight or height, because women come in every shape and size.

It's maybe undefinable!
Maybe one just KNOWS!!
Caster Semenya, Margaret Wambui, and Francine Niyonsaba should be BANNED from competing in a race or event where that race or event is LIMITED TO WOMEN ONLY!!

To that end, I decided awhile ago--and have already announced my decision in this blog--that I will NOT honor or respect or accept ANY Records or Marks these 3 produce!!
If they beat other women, I will NOT list them as doing so!

This of course goes against ALL the accepted rulings regarding these athletes!
IAAF, T&FN, the IOC---all have ruled that they do indeed belong in events where women compete.

But I can't believe---somewhere down the road---maybe a few weeks, maybe a few years--that these agencies and observers of our sport will not decide differently--and fall closer in line to where I stand.
If you read the T&FN and Let's Run Message Boards, then you know this situation has massive and ironclad divided loyalties--even more separated than America's political parties are in this Presidential election!!

It came to a head in the semi's yesterday.
In the first one, Wambui and Niyonsaba ran the two fastest times.
In "3rd" came Ajee Wilson.
But when it was over, Wilson's time was too slow for her to advance to the final!
Even though she'd run 1:59.75.

In the 3rd semi, the fastest time went to Semenya.
In that race, another athlete was sent home, short of the final---because of Semenya's presence!

This may sound like I'm upset because a certain athlete failed to make the final.
Sure, I'm sad that Wilson, in particular, won't be in the final!
But it's NOT that she didn't advance--it's WHY she didn't advance!!

If EVERY athlete in that semi race had been a "woman"---beyond ANY & EVERY doubt!!--then I could, and would, accept Wilson's fate!!
Many of my favored athletes have failed to move on to the next round--the list is long, sad to say!
(Check out my Preview posts to see how many of my predictions have been WRONG!!  LOL)

But what I SAW in these three people told me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they did NOT belong there!

So if you want their results, go to the results page at the IAAF or T&FN website!!
I won't list them in this blog!!
As far as I'm concerned---and this blog is concerned--Ajee Wilson WON that first semi!!
That she won't be in the final---and deservedly so!---is a tragedy beyond the pale!!

I will return soon---if I have any readers left after this tirade!!---with the results of the latest events!!

No comments:

Post a Comment