Sunday, December 6, 2015

It's Only December--Really!!

This is my post for December 6th, 2015.
Really!
It might SEEM like a mid-January report, but I assure you, it's not!
(In my summary (See below!), I'll give some data to PROVE this is the best start to an INdoor season since---well, since I began my blog almost two years ago!)
Without any more BS, here's what I have.

The NXN Cross Country races provided some real shockers--and a tinge of normality.
The latter was provided by the winner of the Women's race--Katie Rainsberger!

Her time of 16:56.80 easily beat Ella Donaghu's 17:10.20.
It was a course record, but not an NXN record, as that belongs to Alexa Efraimson from the 2013 race.
Callie Logue was 3rd in 17:14.20.

The first Freshman was 4th placer Kelsey Chmiel's 17:15.40.
But two of the favorites didn't have their best days.
Stephanie Jenks was with the lead group for awhile, but fell back to 25th.
Destiny Collins was 31st.

Maybe the most amazing performance of the entire day was that of the 14th place Woman.
Grace Ping---a 12 year old 7th grader!!!--ran 17:25.70--just 28.90 behind one of the best HS'ers in the US of A!!

The Men's race produced an even bigger shock, as heavily favored Austin Tamagno finished just 26th, a full 30 seconds in back of winner Casey Clinger, who timed out in 15:03.20.

Ben Veatch was 2nd in 15:04.8, with Alex Parsons 3rd in 15:05.6.

Fayetteville-Manlius won their 9th Women's title, while Great Oak took the Men's.

In the West Regional for next week's Footlocker races, Garek Bielaczyc upset favored Phillip Rocha, 15:21.60 to 15:27.10!

The Women's race was taken by a 10th Grader, as Annie Hill's 18:12.60 beat Kate Hunter's 18:13.80.

In my previous post, I reported on a Japan track 10000, won in National Record time.
Well, I have 2 more (OUTdoor) track 10K results for you!

In Melbourne, Australia, Eloise Wellings took the Women's race in 32:02.61.
The Men's race went to the 28:03.69 of David McNeill.

Just ended in Sacramento (CA) was the new Pacific Pursuit 10K meet.
The idea was to secure early Olympic Qualifiers of 28:00 and 32:15.
The Women were more successful than the Men!

Kim Conley took the lead after a 15:53 first 5000, but running alone, couldn't hold the pace, finishing in 31:58.54.
Chelsea Reilly was 2nd in 32:05.84, while Rochelle Kanuho completed her 1st track 10K in 3rd, time of 32:08.76!
They were the only ones to get the Q time, as Jordan Hasay was never close, finishing 8th in 32:46 & change.

Jen Rhines finished 12th in 33:05.03, which some said is an American "Masters" record!
Don't know!
I don't keep "Masters" records!
I DO have the record for the Age 40 & over gang--that being Edith Masai's 31:31.18 from 2007.
As for the American 40 & over mark, I have no idea.
It MIGHT be Rhines's time from today.
But take note of this---Francie Larrieu ran 31:28.92 at Age 38, which is one of the better AMERICAN times from the late 30's age range or older!

The lone Collegiate entrant--NCAA XC winner Molly Seidel--was a late scratch, reason unknown!

While he didn't scratch, Ben Blankenship was a DNF, as he dropped out after 8000 in 23:00.
The winner of the Men's race was Venezuelan Marvin Blanco, who broke the National Record with his time of 28:31.13.
Erik Olson was a second back, while Sean Quigley took 3rd in 28:50.41.
Nowhere near their Q goals!!

The venerable Fukuoka Marathon was taken by Patrick Makau in 2:08:18.
Getu Feleke was 13 seconds back, with Satoru Sasaki 3rd in 2:08:55.
Dennis Kimetto was an early DNF--just past the 5K point, where he was over a minute behind the leaders!!

Kara Goucher is back!
She pulled a "Molly Huddle" in the San Antonio Rock and Roll Half--leading from the gun, and winning by 81 seconds from Canadian Sasha Gollish, times of 1:11:09 and 1:12:30.

Running a planned "tempo", Shalane Flanagan and Amy Cragg finished together in 1:12:48.
(Goucher said in her post-race interview that she was surprised Shalane didn't challenge her.  But in a pre-race interview, Flanagan announced her plan to run the pace she did!  I guess Kara didn't see it!)

Aaron Braun jogged the Men's race in 1:04:11.

And now we come to the INdoor T&F report!
After I'm done, you tell me if you believe it's still just the 1st week of December!!

As in the past 2 Decembers, the Boston University track provided fast 5000 races.
The Men's was won by Gilbert Kirui's 13:50.48.
Two others ran 13:53's.

But in the Women's race, we got a DDD list-making mark!
Courtney Frerich, leader of New Mexico's winning team at the NCAA XC meet, won in 15:31.62.
This makes her 7th A-T Collegiate, tied with 1 other.
It's also 11th A-T US!

Erika Kemp, Liv Westphal, and Sarah Collins all ran 15:45's, in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
Also breaking 16:00 was 5th placer Laura Hottenrott, time of 15:47.28.
Another New Mexico athlete, Molly Renfer, ran a 16:02.

Raven Saunders started her new career at Ole Miss by shattering the school SP record by about 6 feet (!!), with her opening shot of 58-8.50!
It misses the Soph Class record by 10.50 inches!

After that, she also won the WT with a two METER PR of 63-11.75!

Sean Tobin won the Mile race at this Birmingham (AL) meet, time of 4:02.97.

Other WT marks (at various meets) came from Felisha Johnson (73-10.25), DeAnna Price (Saunder's old SIU teammate!--distance of 71-0.75), and Rudy Winkler (67-9).

Good early Multi's came from Luca Weiland (5814 Heptathlon) and Jess Herauf (4242 Pentathlon).

Anna Cockrell had the best HS marks, running the 60H in 8.29--and doing it TWICE!
She also had a 400 in 57+.

Kayla Caldwell PV'ed 14-1.25.
But Jenn Suhr--in a different meet--slightly out-jumped her!

Would you believe a Best-Ever-in-December 15-9 for Jenn Suhr??!!
She began with a miss at 4.55, then made it on 2nd try.
She then got her 15-9 on 1st attempt, before missing 3 times at 4.90 (16-0.75).

And she said she wasn't satisfied!!
BTW, she missed the Age 33 record by one inch!!

I'll have a few more newsy items, but first, let's compare this INdoor season's early marks to those from the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons.
(And you can look back to my blog posts from those years for the raw data!)

In 2013 (the 2013-2014 season), you'll remember my excitement when Abbey D'Agostino ran the "fastest 5000 in December", with her 15:40.55.
But that was on the weekend of December 13th-15th!

Also in mid-December that year were other good 5K's, those of Emily Sisson, Sarah Collins, and Laura Nagel, all in the low 15:40's range.

Then a week later came the shocking news of Raven Saunders's emergence in the SP, from the mid-40's range to 52-3, then again to 53-8, making her (then) one of the best-ever INdoor HS SP'ers!

A year later, there was even more excitement when Ryen Frazier ran a 4:44.20 Mile in the JDL All-Comers meet on November 22nd!
I then commented on how early this first INdoor mark came, relative to those mid-December 5K's from 2013!

Then, on November 30th, Richard Rose ran a good early season 600 of 1:20.98.

But the season EXPLODED on December 6th with that fantastic 5000 at BU, when Sarah DiSanza beat Emily Sisson and Liv Westphal, times of 15:20.57, 15:21.84, and 15:31.62.

Raven Saunders reached 56-3.75 in her first Collegiate meet in the SP.

A week later, around December 13th, Rachel Johnson and Brian Shrader ran more fast 5K's, times of 15:40+ & 13:40+.

Chuk Enechwechi (75-6) and Sophie Lozano (70-9.25) had solid WT's!
Erica Twiss got a Pentathlon score of 4136.
And 9th Grader Tatiana Marsh began her march to the Frosh Class record (41-2) by TJ'ing 39-3.

Then, on the 3rd weekend of December (the 21st-22nd), we got 8 more good marks in various events.

Quite a start, eh?!

Well, not quite!

First, Nevada Mareno's JDL Mile came one day earlier than Ryen Frazier's!
(And she added that OUTdoor 3200 of 10:02 a few hours later!!)

But then look at what happened this year in December's 1st week, as compared to the same week last year!

Sure, you had those FAST 5K's from DiSanza & Co, and the 56 footer from Saunders.

But that was IT!!

This year, we've had all the T&F stuff reported above---especially Suhr's 15-9, Raven's 58-footer, Herauf's 4242 a mere 106 points better than Twiss's from 2014 (plus Wieland's Hept mark!), Cockrell's TWO 8.29 60H marks, and some very decent WT's!

The QUANTITY of QUALITY marks from this December beats the fewer quality marks from 2014.
(Note that where I said above that Frerich's 15:31.62 TIED her with 1 other---that "1 other" was Westphal's time from that BU race with DiSanza!!)

Now, we should keep in mind that this is just the first week of December.
In 2014 especially, good marks followed on the following 2 weekends leading up to Christmas.
Will the same happen this year, or is this the last of the rush of list-making marks we'll find this month?
(I strongly doubt that!!)

Suffice to say---and I only have the data from the past 2 Decembers (& Novembers!) to compare it to---this INdoor season has gotten off to the DEEPEST start---and in some cases (Suhr!) the BEST start---of the three!

I'll end this lengthy post with a few important news items!

Remember me saying how Andre De Grasse was the lone potential Collegiate Record breaker left after Trayvon Bromell, then Trentavis Friday turned Pro early?
HA!
Mr De Grasse---proving his own Mother wrong!!--went the Pro route too, signing with Puma!
And his reported signing figure?
Would you believe 11.25 MILLION dollars??!!

I'm not sure if this was reported earlier, but it made the News section of T&FN website recently.
Birmingham will be the site for the 2016 INdoor NCAA Championships!

Running Times magazine is ceasing publication after its January-February issue!!
Runners World continues, and will probably incorporate some of Running Times's content--mainly that of reporting more race results!
As for me, except for an occasional issue, I haven't bought either magazine on a regular basis for DECADES!!

The Camel City Elite meet, set for January 30th, is turning into a Millrose-Boston-style MAJOR meet, if you go by the slough of announcements of early entrants.

Shannon Rowbury had been reported earlier.
(Though she's switched from the Mile to the 3000!!)
But now you can add the following:

Keri Gallagher
Nick Symmonds
Melissa Bishop
Heather Kampf
Brianna Rollins
the Eaton's (Ashton and BTE)
Casimir Loxsom
Katie Mackey
Bernard Lagat (the 3000)
and
Matthew Centrowitz!!

Next posts---I PROMISE!!--will finally get around to predicting which World, US, Collegiate & HS records might fall, followed by another post listing the LEAST marks needed to make my Top 24's in the above 4 categories!

Soon!



10 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Jenn skipping the most important events of the indoor season. A big problem with track and field is that the athletes apparently feel zero obligation to support the sport that supports them. Of course it is her (legal) "right" to compete as much or little as she wishes, but I believe she has a moral and ethical obligation to support the sport by making herself available for the most important events. You have noted the reasonable exceptions -- injury, pregnancy, bans. None of these apply to Jenn (though she certainly has had a lot of injuries in the past).

    I wonder what's really motivating Jenn? She's getting old for an elite vaulter and will have very few more opportunities to be competitive at the highest level and be a factor in world-level events. Maybe it's worth noting that nearly all (or all?) of her highest vaults have come in meets where she had little or no competition. She generally fares far worse when up against her most serious competitors. Of course she is the Olympic gold medalist from London, but that was a weird case where none of the women vaulted very well, including Jenn, and Jenn just happened to come out on top of a weak competition. If Isinbayeva had not employed such a poor passing strategy, I think she would have won that meet.

    However, perhaps Jenn -- now very late in her career -- is more focused on getting big marks, which for her are much more likely in meets of her own choosing with no competition. Then she'll see how it goes in Rio, but I would certainly not consider her the favorite there. At this early date, I am picking Silva for gold. As best I can tell, Jenn has a lifetime losing record against Silva, Murer, and Isinbayeva in spite of having a superior PR to Silva and Murer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    Long time no hear from!
    Welcome back---even if just this once!
    Anyway, about Suhr--check out the thread on that on T&FN MB!
    GH had to step in with another of his warnings! LOL
    But as for Suhr's age---don't forget that Fabiana Murer is about 11 months older than Suhr---and jumped 15-11 earlier this year!

    As I said in one of my T&FN comments, if Suhr was skipping the ENTIRE Indoor season would be one thing---but she's competing in SEVERAL INdoor meets--from last week's 15-9 to mid-February in Boston's meet!
    She can't add 2 more meets?
    Besides, Suhr uses a minimal number of vaults in her comps!
    She usually STARTS at 4.60---or even 4.70---and winds up taking maybe 3-5 jumps per meet!
    Rarely more!

    Anyway, VERY happy to hear from you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for the nice comments. The reason that you haven't heard from me in a long time is a bit of a sad story. I won't go into a lot of details here, but on September 13, in the huge California wildfire called the "Valley Fire", my house and everything in it burned to the ground. Seventy years of my life gone in a flash. I lost everything, including my huge music studio and two fine pianos, thousands of books, all my clothes, computers, furniture, etc., and everything else that you might imagine would be in a house. I lost a lifetime of writing and music I had created. Also scrapbooks, pictures, everything, including all my track and field memorabilia. All uninsured. Now I'm living in a small apartment hundreds of miles away wondering how the rest of my life might play out. But in spite of it all, I am maintaining my positive disposition and willingness to accept what life chooses to bring me.

    I did escape with my life and health, which one of my friends did not - he died in the fire trying to protect his home. I wanted to stay and try to protect my home too, but something told me I better get out of there and I did. So the upshot of it all is that my life has been turned completely upside down, but I'm doing fine and still very much interested in what you write in your blog!

    Take care, best wishes, and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus!!!
    I'm so sorry for everything you lost!
    That's something I've always feared--as I own so much stuff that could burn so easily!
    I too have 1000's of pages of my writing--about 1000 books!
    If I lost all of that, I don't know what I'd do....or how I'd react!
    As for you being forced to move to an apartment, I've lived in apts most of my life, so I've learned to exist in small spaces---and alone!
    I can understand not insuring stuff, since you probably never think something like that would ever happen!
    One thing I think of a lot---unrelated to what you've experienced---is that when I die, my lifetime of writings will never find a new home---a library or book shelf!
    All that blood, sweat, and tears----for what?
    I'm so sorry, Marco!
    I wish there was something I could do!
    But as you said, you're alive and healthy!
    (Sorry about your friend too!)
    I lived in SoCal for about 7 years, so I kniw about those raging wildfires!
    Scary!!
    Just take some time---think of what you still have!!
    Life---and time---has a way of letting things settle---after an upheaval!
    I'm happy that my blog still has a place in your life!
    While I don't write it specifically for you, I DO think of you when I'm putting a new post together!
    But like I said---you'll adjust to your new life!
    Maybe, in time, you'll be able to move back to a house, buy a used piano, new books & other stuff.
    (Though photos and letters & memorobilia can't ever be replaced!)
    Keep in touch!!
    And stay strong!
    BTW, you must have bought a new computer, or are you using a library computer?
    The next post will have the minimal requirements for my Top 24 lists.
    I'll be thinking of you!



    Show original message

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind comments. They are much appreciated.

    At first, after the fire, I was pretty disoriented. But I did get a new computer and soon began reading your blog again. Only recently have I felt up to posting again -- and I'm still very much in the process of recovery.

    I think your blog has gotten better and better over the time you've been writing it. Recent posts are very well done, and I enjoy reading them. As always, they are a great help in my enjoyment of the sport of track and field.

    I do sometimes also look at the T&FN site, and I did see the thread about Jenn skipping indoor nationals and worlds. However, I still find the aaronk-bashing that goes on there rather ugly and disgusting. For even gh to suggest that you are somehow not a "real fan" of the sport is mean-spirited, stupid, and just plain wrong -- and he knows it.

    There are indeed a bunch of "real fans" of the sport who post on the T&FN website, but I find your contributions there among the very best. You always provide real substantive information (along with your emphatically expressed opinions!). Of course, your blog is even better because you can really stretch out and provide a lot of detailed information.

    I've said it before but it's worth repeating that your accuracy and clarity with details are very impressive!

    I will continue as a fan of your blog and welcome whatever you might post in your first Olympic season as a blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your compliments!
    (BLUSH!!)
    And while you didn't ask for it, I want to say a few more things that MIGHT help you recover from your awful losses.

    Ever read, or hear about, a bok called "How to Survive the Loss of a Love" (by 3 authors---2 shrink-types & a poet, Peter McWilliams)??
    It was first published in 1971, I believe, then revised & re-released in 1990 or so.
    It's helped ME through a few of my relationship disasters!
    The poems are brief and simplistic, sometimes seeming like Hallmark platitudes--and the prose is generally hippie-ish peace & love shit.
    But the general effect is good & positive--and helpful!
    One part that's stuck with me for ages is in the first few pagesd, where they list the various types of losses.
    Among them are the usual---death, divorce, loss of bob or property---but then they say "success" is a great loss too---the loss of the need/desire to STRIVE for success!!
    (Might be the "problem" with people like Bolt, Suhr Dibaba---what's left after you've won everything and broken all the WR's??)
    Anyway, despite the fact you say you're recovering okay, your loss (or SERIES of losses!!) were probably so overwhelming that you'll NEVER fully recover.
    Buy that book I mentioned---and turn to it whenever you're most down!
    Finally, here's a few brief suggestions for your near future.
    Even if you're close to moving back into a house, make your apt your HOME
    Put pictures (artwork/sports posters) on the walls, flowers on tables, your books & CD's on shelves.
    Buy whatever you need or want to replace your losses.
    Clothing, books, CD's, DVD's, kitchen stuff (forks, knives, microwave, toaster, etc).
    ALL of that can be bought through Amazon---or in used clothing/book stores---or places like Goodwill.
    Make it a FUN event when you shop----ENJOY (re-)building your life!!!
    Organize your apt space!!
    Put everything in its own space---alphabetize your stuff (books by author, CD's by name of band/singer, movies by title), so you can find what you need immediately!!
    And when you find yourself depressed---seek out a friend, a relative, even people working in stores!
    Read parts of the book I recommended---over and over again!
    Look to tomorrow---not yesterday---as much as possible!
    (And consider ME a friend! Feel free to talk to ME!!)
    (I'll be posting a LOT for the next 9 or 10 months---busy, busy, BUSY time of the year!!)
    Exercise---if you're physically able!
    A good sweat is not only healthy for your body, but for your mind & soul!!
    And like I said, I've lived in small spaces almost my entire life.
    I can probably give you a few pointers on THAT too!
    (Did you live in a dorm at UCLA? Then you probably can remember what it's like!!)
    See you soon---with my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loss of job----& various other typo corrections! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the beautiful thoughts which hit home and for your kindness in thinking of me. I would like to respond in more detail, but I'm little shy as this is a public forum. I DO consider you a friend, and greatly appreciate your willingness to be that. Is there a "private message" capability on this blog? If so I could say some things that I would rather not post in public.

    I have learned to not feel sorry for myself. Loss is an inevitable part of life -- not necessarily the kind of loss I have experienced, but loss in some form. And losses can be so much greater -- the loss of one's life, or the life of a loved one, etc. That's not to say my own loss isn't real. It is, but survivable. Contemplating the potential for so much greater loss helps to keep things in perspective.

    That "success" can also be a kind of loss is also part of my experience, though that was a long time ago. As you know I had a little bit of success in track and field in my long-ago past. What was lost then was the notion that success would bring happiness. There were moments of exhilaration, but ultimately disappointment that these didn't last. What I learned was that happiness didn't come from experiences, even positive ones, but rather from the release of the demand that the events or circumstances of life make me happy.

    I'll look for the book you mentioned, and hope we can a way to continue the conversation by PM or email.

    Again, thank you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know of 3 ways---maybe 4---that we can communicate privately.
    Facebook, Twitter, my Yahoo e-mail service, and Skype.
    FB & Twitter have Private Messaging---on FB, it's called "chat".
    Skype can be either a "picture/phone" deal, or just typing print messages. Both are private.
    You need a webcam to do the picture phone thing.
    My least favorite would be Yahoo.
    I generally delete ALL my e-mails after I read them.
    With FB, Twitter & Skype, I can always go back and read them again!
    But any of those will do for me.
    To do FB, you need to be a "friend".
    My FB name is "David Betterman".
    (I'll explain the reason for that, if you want!)
    To do the PM on Twitter, you need to be on Twitter, and we need to "follow" each other to be able to PM.
    Same with Skype.
    To do that, you need to be on Skype, and we need to be each other's "contact".
    They're all easy to do!
    With Facebook, I have about 100 "friends"---including my sister, a couple of my nieces, AND Kaylin Whitney's grandmother!!
    (We had several "chats" about Kaylin earlier this year---and she told me stuff the rest of the world didn't know at that time! LOL)
    On Skype, I had a 2 year long relationship with a married woman in Texas----ALL of it on Skype!!
    With Twitter, they've recently changed the rules, whereas with PM'ing, you can send messages of longer than 140 characters---which tweets are limited to!
    Anyway, any of those---or all of them---are okay with me.
    Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent you a message on Facebook. It was the first time I've ever tried that, so I don't know if I did everything right. Let me know if you got that.

    What do you think of 19-year olds competing in HS meets? I don't have a strong opinion about this, but generally I think the cutoff should be 18.

    ReplyDelete