Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Missed Marks....and Opportunities

Wanting to clear the decks before the first race of the World Indoor Championships in Sopot--about 39 hours from now---I'm presenting this "extra" blog post.
Here's a few marks:

At the BU Last Chance meet a few days ago, David Torrence won a great 1000 meters in the American Record time of 2:16.76.
This was also the Age 28 record for indoors.
And it places him 8th A-T on the World list, though tied with 1 other.

Second in that race was Canadian Nate Brannen, whose 2:16.87 is a Canadian National record.
It's also the Age 31 record.
And he is now 10th A-T World!

Last but not least, Rich Peters of Boston University (natch!) ran a new Collegiate Record of 2:18.55, breaking Rob Creese's 2:19.53 from 2012.
It's of course the Collegiate Senior Class record too!

In a great solo 5000 (2nd was over 30 seconds behind!), Molly Huddle ran the 3rd fastest time by a US woman indoors, 15:13.86.
And it's 24th best on the World list!
Not bad for a "rust-buster" (as she called it!).

Katrina Coogan, Mark's daughter, ran the mile in 4:33.44, which makes her 21st A-T Collegian.

Finally, at that same meet, a great Men's Collegiate DMR duel took place.
Villanova beat Georgetown, 9:28.06 to 9:29.11.
Villanova is now the # 3 school on the A-T Collegiate Indoor list.
Georgetown is now 6th on that same list.

Deon Lendore's 45.03 at the SEC meet wasn't just a PR.
It was also the Trinidad National record, breaking his own mark.
It's the new Age 21 record.
And it's the Collegiate Junior Class record!

Three new HS marks worth mentioning:

Hannah Debalsi ran a fast 2 mile, her time of 10:12.95 the 12th best A-T HS Indoors.

Gabby Figueroa improved her WT to 64-11, which moves her from 3rd A-T HS to 2nd!

And Adam Kelly improved his WT out to 79-1.25, which moves him 1 spot on the A-T HS list, from 12th to 11th.

Now for a few "editorial" comments.

Still waiting to hear Alberto Salazar apologized to Gabe Grunewald and Andrew Bumbalough, as well as to the USATF officials and the fans who witnessed his ugly behavior at our National Championship meet.

Also waiting for Salazar to withdraw his protest that DQ'ed Bumbalough.
He attacked the wrong guy!!

Speaking of withdrawals, though of a different nature, Mary Cain has withdrawn from the WIC 1500 because of some pain in her calf.
This is major for the US team, as she was widely thought to be good for a medal in Sopot.
Let's hope she heals as fast as she runs, and will have a great record-breaking outdoor season.

Another withdrawal just announced is Dathan Ritzenhein from the Boston Marathon.

This makes three NOP athletes who have had injuries affect their racing ability in the past month or so.
First, Galen Rupp DNF'ed in the Millrose Mile, but did a workout later, so seems to be okay.
Then came Cain's and Ritz's announcements.

Why, all of a sudden, are THREE Nike Oregon Project athletes forced to change their race plans because of injury, however minor?
All of them coached by Alberto Salazar.

Apologies and answers, Alberto!
NOW!!!

The 3 major meets remaining on the Indoor schedule should produce major revisions in my T&F Record Book.
And they'll be coming from all 4 categories--World, US, Collegiate, and HS.

Speaking of my T&F Record Book, I've been doing some massive improvements on it. these past several weeks.

1. I've added the 600 and 1000 to my Indoor HS and Collegiate DDD's.
2. Also added are the 4X400 Relay to the World DDD, the 4X400 and DMR to the Collegiate DDD, and the same two to the United States DDD.
3. I've added to my OUTdoor DDD's also.  I've added the 4X100, 4X400, and DMR to my Collegiate and US DDD's.  And added the 4X100 and 4X400 to my World DDD's.
3. I've filled out, or added the Pentathlon and Heptathlon to my HS, Collegiate, US and World DDD's.
4. I've also returned the 2000 to the US and World DDD's.
5. Finally, as noted before, I've eliminated the strict standards I had in place for my Meet and National Records sections, both Indoor and Outdoor.  This makes both sections much larger than they were before.  For outdoors, I've added the Oxy High Performance and Portland Track Festival, as well as more complete records for the Doha and Shanghai DL's, and for the Ostrava and other "lesser" European meets!

But that's not all.
Since subscribing to T&FN's eTN (Track Newsletter) about 3 months ago, I've gone through every one of the more than 500 issues dating from January 2002 (when the print edition stopped publication, changing exclusively to an online edition) through early June of 2012.
I still have the rest of 2012, all of 2013, and 2014 to go through.

From their pages, I've discovered MANY marks that I'd somehow missed from all my other sources!!
So not only have I expanded my Record Book, but I've found many marks that change the status of many athletes on my various DDD lists!!
As I've gone along in this research, I've entered the missed marks into my book.
So the places I announce in my posts are as up-to-date as can be!

Finally, I'd like to direct you to a thread I started on the T&FN Message Board.
It's in the "Current Events" section.
It's actually an essay I wrote titled "The Four Seasons of Athletics".
It's long, and I had to extend it to 3 separate posts on that thread.
But, even if I do say so myself, it's worth reading.

Feel free to comment on the essay, or anything else in my 36 posts thus far!!
And please encourage anyone you know to follow this blog!
Anyone who loves marks and records in T&F should love this blog!!

And follow me on Twitter too!
(@AaronKrohn1.

WIC, here we come!!!

1 comment:

  1. Just a reminder that I am reading all your posts, and appreciating them very much. Thank you for enhancing my enjoyment of the current indoor season, and for the sport altogether. I enjoy reading your opinions on various athletes and issues, but most appreciate that your posts are filled with loads of substantive facts and details. Please keep it up. I'm sure more fans will find out about this blog over time.

    ReplyDelete