Sunday, September 30, 2018

XC Begins (& Record Book Stuff)

This is the time of year I go on a sort of vacay!
In other words, it's Cross Country season--one facet of our sport I don't cover---much!
So when the main part of the T&F season ends (around mid-September) until it's time to post my INdoor season Previews (around mid-November), I slow the pace of my postings rather drastically!

And here's why!
While XC can be a VERY exciting sport, it just doesn't fit the parameters of what this blog is about--Records & Marks!
The many courses are different--in terrain, running surface, and weather conditions--and thus difficult to quantify as to quality of times run!
As far as I know, there are no lists of A-T best times--except maybe those kept by various High Schools and Colleges, or by the various venues where races are held!
(Yet even then, courses often change!
And the weather can vary from snow to rain to wind to cold sunshine, making some courses into mud pits!)
Long story short, I've never found it viable to keep accurate lists of times for XC!
(That said, I'll have a brief report of the weekend's action below!)

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I believe this blog has welcomed some new readers recently!
While some of you may have gone into the Archives and read some of my previous 500-plus posts, this blog has changed some over the years, and thus may need a more up-to-date "Intro" to what it's all about!

The data presented is mostly sourced from my own self-compiled Track & Field Record Book!
As I've often-stated, it's NOT an actual "book", but rather a collection of sheets of 8X10.5 college rule lined notebook paper, separated into 28 manila folders!
While I first compiled the "book" in the mid-60's, it's gone through several changes!
Even in the past 5 years, I've added events to my DDD lists, expanded my Meet Records section, added a Combined Events section for the US only, added more events to my Place Records section, and made the "book" more complete, and thus more informative for my loyal readers!

I always have stated that my Record Book has 600 pages!
But I was curious to see how many pages might have been added in recent years, due to all the above changes!
I was slightly stunned to discover that my Record Book now numbers 712 pages!!
Here's the rundown--divided into INdoor & OUTdoor, as well as Men & Women!!

The numbers match for OUTdoors---219 pages for each sex!
For INdoors, the Men's page count is 4 less than the Women's---135 to 139.
Total of 712 pages!

While it's exciting to discover I've somehow added over 100 pages since 2014, it's also daunting to know how much WORK is involved in keeping such a "book" updated--and the pages neat enough to read!!
I'm proud to say it's looking nicer than it ever has!!
(My cramped hand as proof!!  LOL)

I have some "rules" I use that makes my Book & blog different from others out there!
For example, I have SEPARATE lists for INdoors & OUTdoors!
There is NO overlap!
I ignore HS times for the 1600 and 3200, or times converted from them!!
Thus, Katelyn Tuohy's 9:47.88 for 3200 (at 2018's OUTdoor Loucks Games) is NOT included on my HS Women's Two Mile list!!
For INdoors, there are NO marks made on Oversize Tracks on my lists!
I ignore all marks run by Caster Semenya, Margaret Wambui, and Francine Niyonsaba--as I believe they do NOT fit the strict criteria that would make them eligible for All-WOMEN's races!!
In a FEW cases, I've also ignored USADA, USATF, or IAAF rulings about drug bans, or other reasons for non-ratification of Records!
These included Emma Coburn's 9:11.42 AR, Gwen Berry's AR of 251-4, and Ajee Wilson's AR of 1:58.27 for INdoors!

Well, friends, XC HAS begun!
As reported in my previous post, Katelyn Tuohy ran a remarkable time on a 5000 meter course last week!
And based on what I'm about to report, it remains THE best mark of the young season!!
But here's some results from the key meets of the weekend---

The Dellinger meet saw Reuben Kiprono take the Men's 8K in 24:40!
Cooper Teare was 2nd 14 seconds back!
Reed Brown took 7th with his 25:14!
For the Women, Susan Ejore's 19:33 edged past Weronika Pyzik, also timed in 19:33 on the 6000 meter course!
Jessica Hull was 3rd--also in 19:33!!

The Chile Pepper races went to Frankline Tanoyo and Katrina Robinson!
Tanoyo's 24:05 nipped Gilbert Boit's same time!
Robinson's 5K time was 16:15.
(Remember that Ms Tuohy ran 16:07 last week!!)
In 6th came London Culbreath's 17:07!

The Wisconsin Nuttycombe meet was considered THE meet of the week!
Australia's Morgan McDonald took the Men's 8K in 23:17, with Edwin Kurgat one second back, and Tyler Day 3rd in 23:21.

The Women's race saw a slight upset, as last year's NCAA Champion--Ednah Kurgat--lost to New Mexico teammate Weini Kelati--19:36 to 19:38!!
But that was for 2nd & 3rd place!!
Alicia Monson--a Wisconsin athlete--won on her home course in 19:33!!
Right behind Kurgat came Dani Jones's 19:39 and Allie Ostrander's 19:40!

The Roy Griak Men's 8K went to Kieran Tuntivate's 24:33!
Ty Mogan's 24:34 was 2nd.

The Women's race saw a sister duo take the top 2 spots, as Bethany Hasz's 20:47 beat sister Megan Hasz's 20:54!!
No one else ran under 21:31!!

This meet also had HS races!!
The Men's race went to Maxwell Manley's 15:46!
The Women's race was won by Emily Covert in 17:28.
Tierney Wolfgram's 17:51 was 2nd.
But back in 4th and 6th came the Ping sisters, with Lauren's 18:15 beating Grace's 18:18!!

The Men's Rim Rock Farm race was won by Joe Moore's 24:07.
Sharon Lokedi had no competition, as her 19:49 won the 6K race by a mere 107 seconds!!

Finally, we have the Stanford Invite!
Robert Brandy won the Men's race in 23:46.
Sydney Didabuday's 23:55 was 2nd, with Alek Parsons 3rd in 23:58.
DJ Principe was 8th in 24:17.
Grant Fisher didn't run!!

Elise Cranny won the Women's race in 20:32.
She beat Katie Rainsberger's 20:39!!
Fiona O'Keefe took 3rd in 20:41.

A Woman named Poppy Tank (I kid you not!!  LOL) was 6th, time of 21:06!
Former HS 800 and Mile stud Caitlin Collier ended way back in 58th, time of 22:37.

So what does all that tell you?
That Morgan McDonald and Alicia Monson should be seen as the early favorites for the individual titles at the NC's??
But what about Grant Fisher, Vanessa Fraser, and other MIA's from this weekend's meets??

And just WHERE would Kaitlyn Tuohy finish in such a race??

The Chicago Marathon is coming next week!

See you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment