Sunday, June 3, 2018

HS'ers on Fire while Rome Burns

NOTE--The following is a COMPLETE rewrite of my almost-finished post I'd written!!
I once again hit the wrong key, and the entire post was instantly eliminated--with no chance of retrieval!!
So here we go again!!
(I'll try to reproduce it as close to what I had as possible!)

While Rome did indeed burn (in the positive sense!), the High School crowd produced some of the best marks of the weekend!
And there were none more astounding than Anna Hall's HSR in the Heptathlon!!
Her score of 5798 points crushed Kendell Williams's old mark by 220 points!!
And it took over the Junior Class Record from Williams also!!
Despite a JT of just 76-4, Sterling Lester's 2nd place mark of 5270 missed her PR by only 18 points!!
Will those 2 try for the World Junior meet??

Brody Hasty ran in an unusual 3000 race at the Music City meet!
He apparently was the sole competitor, although a pair of Pro rabbits led him through the first 2K!
He finished in 8:00.92, for 2nd A-T HS!

Caitlin Collier was another HS'er to shine at Music City, even though she ended in 4th!
At the bell, she was 7th, but ran the fastest final lap of all (splits of 59.53 and 61.32!) to end in 4th!
Her 2:00.85 moves her from 9th A-T HS to 4th!
Ahead of her came Emily Richards's W of 2:00.67, Claudia Saunders's 2:00.75, and Agnes Abu's 2:00.77!
Just behind Collier was Madeline Kopp's 2:00.88!
Remember that she ran a 4:38 Mile earlier, which means she might be the prime candidate to take down Polly Plumer's venerable HSR of 4:35.24, from 1982!

I'll return to the HS'ers later, but let's see who "burned" in Rome!
Or stumbled!
Yes, that "perfect" hurdler from the 3000SC--Emma Coburn--was the one taking a bath this time!
Making a strong move nearing the last water jump, she instead tripped and fell!
But despite rising quickly, she was only able to finish 4th, time of 9:08.13!
She got a consolation prize, however, as she nabbed the Age 27 Record!
Hyvin Jepkemoi's 9:04.96 gave her the Meet Record!
Next came Celiphine Chespol's 9:05.14.
Norah Jeruto's 9:07.17 in 3rd gave her the Age 22 Record!
Luiza Gega's time of 9:22.00 in 9th broke her own National Record of Albania!

The Men's 400H was quite a race!
Abderahman Samba continued his Meet Record-breaking ways by running a PR of 47.48!
(He'd also broken the Doha MR!)
He also broke his own National Record of Qatar!
He moves from 18th A-T World to 14th, tied with 1 other!
A strong 2nd went to Norway's new hero--Karsten Warholm!
His 47.82 was a PR (and a new NR) by 0.40 seconds!!
He missed the World list by 0.12 seconds!!

Let's leave Rome for a bit, because when someone breaks an American Record, it's worth a "front page" recap!
DeAnna Price smashed Gwen Berry's AR in the HT by almost 3 feet, her 254-9 moving her from 2nd to the Top on the US list, and all the way from 19th to 6th on the A-T World list!!
She also had a throw of 253-0, also better than Berry's old mark!!
Think about this for a moment--the US Women now have THREE in the Top 10 for 2018!!

Rome had a solid Men's LJ!
Luvo Manyonga was the winner, reaching the sand 28-1.75 from take-off!
But it was Juan Echevarria's 28-0 leap that took home the most booty!
He broke his own Age 19 Record!
And he's now 19th A-T World, tied with 1 other!

Other Rome results---
Fred Kerley's 44.33 edged Abdelalah Haroun's 44.37 in the 400!
Third went to Paul Dedewo's 44.59!
In the Women's race, Salwa Naser made her delayed 2018 debut (Visa problems prevented her from reaching the States for the Pre meet!)!
Her 50.51 beat Stephanie McPherson's 50.69!

Sam Kendricks and Mariya Lasitskene were easy winners in their respective events!!
Kendricks cleared 19-2 in the PV, while Lasitskene won her 41st consecutive meet with her HJ of 6-8, just missing the Meet Record by a quarter inch!
(I believe that her win streak includes her INdoor meets!!)

Ronnie Baker's PR of 9.93 took the 100 from a slightly injured Christian Coleman!!
Baker makes the US A-T list in 19th, tied with "just" 7 others!
Coleman put the brakes on at 80 or 85 meters, ending 4th in 10.06!
Marie Josee Ta Lou had to battle a wind of 1.7 to take the 200 in 22.49!
Ivet Lalova-Collio's 22.64 took 2nd.
She's 34 years old!
Georganne Moline's 53.97 defeated Janieve Russell's 54.08 in the 400H!
Fedric Dacres won the DT with 224-9.
Second went to Andrius Gudzius's 223-8!
Sandra Perkovic got the Meet Record with her DT of 226-1.
Yaime Perez was far back with 218-7!

Wycliff Kinyamal's 1:44.45 took the 800!
Sharika Nelvis won a slowish 100H in 12.76!
Tim Cheruiyot's 3:31.22 became the fastest 1500 of the season!
Well back in 2nd was Elijah Manangoi's 3:33.79!
And Consesius Kipruto also got a World Leader, his 3000SC time of 8:08.40 beating Ben Kigen's 8:10.01.

Returning to the HS set---
Anthony Schwartz took 0.04 off his 100 PR, his 10.09 moving him from 4th A-T HS, tied with 1 other, to 4th, but with no ties!
He added a 200 of 20.49 for good measure!
But Kenny Bednarek's 20.43 in Wisconsin's State meet took over the HS lead from Schwartz!
It also made him 12th A-T HS!
Another "battle" (for HS list placement) happened in the 100H!
Jada Hicks ran her HEAT at the CIF meet in 13.24!
This makes her 21st A-T HS!
But Grace Stark--one of INdoor's stars--ran it in 13.16, making her 11th A-T HS!

Abby Steiner took a chunk off her 200 PR, her 22.73 bringing her to 6th A-T HS!
At the Music City meet, Cameron Ponder won the HS Mile in 4:04.24!
(Something to ponder, eh?  LOL)
Katelyn Tuohy "warmed up" for her NY State meet with a fine double in the State Qualifier!
Her 9:15.20 would have been the Soph Class Record for 3000 meters--if she hadn't run 9:10.4 enroute to that speedy 3200 from earlier!
(See my previous post!)
She added the 1600, time of 4:22.37!
Remember, these were her PRELIMS!!

KC Lightfoot reached a non-PR height of 18-3.75 in the PV, but his streak of 18 footers continues!!
Finally (for the HS set!), I must report a 1-2 finish at that CIF meet!
While I'm hesitant to give respect to 3200 meter races, this one found TWINS running quick times in 1st & 2nd!
Elena and Maddy Denner ran respective times of 10:10.32 and 10:11.50!
Sort of reminds one of the former Weeks twins from a few years ago!!
Or closer still, the Drop's--Jessica and Samantha--since they too run the distances!

Some OLD news to cover---
Amantle Montsho's 50.15 at April's Commonwealth Games gave her the Age 34 Record!
From May 25th comes Dmitry Nabohau's HJ of 7-8.75, which gave him the National Record of Belarus!
Ivana Spanovic and Malaika Mihambo dueled for World-leading supremacy in the LJ!
Spanovic spanned out to 22-8.50--although she had a windy mark of 22-10.75!
Mihanbo's mark measured 22-11.25!
Not sure which came first on May 26th!

More Music City results--
Chris Giesting's 1:15.36 took the 600 over Cas Loxsom's 1:15.91.
Not sure what the Division 2 record for the Men's 800 is, but Thomas Staines, a 20 year old via Great Britain, ran 1:45.57!
It's gotta be right up there!

That "3rd German"--Andrea Hofmann--sent his Javelin flying out to 302-0, adding a couple of feet to his earlier PR!
He moves from 12th A-T World to 8th!

In the Caymans meet, Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce bettered her rust-busting 200 time of 11.52 by 0.19, but her 11.33 ended 2nd to Jenna Prandini's 11.16!
Still, not bad for the "year after pregnancy" SAFP!!

The meet at Hengelo was okay, with the following notable results---
Jenny Simpson took a VERY deep Mile with her 4:25.71.
Not a great time for her, but behind her came a long train of TWELVE running sub-4:30's!
Besu Sado's 4:25.99 took 2nd, with 3rd going to Meref Bahta's 4:27.03.
Sarah McDonald's 4:27.12 in 4th led a trio of Brits to their sub-4:30's!
(If they have a 4th---Laura Muir??--they could SHATTER the "WR" of 18:39.58 for the 4 X Mile, set by the Women of UO in 1985!!  Just a thought!)
Anita Hinriksdottir finished 11th in 4:29.20.

Jonathan Kitilit's 1:43.87 took the 800!
Mariya Lasitskene again won the HJ--with 6-8!
Abdelelah Haroun won a good 400 in 44.35!
Paul Dedewo's 44.50 again nabbed him a PR!
(See above!)
Speaking of 400 PR's, how about TJ'er Supreme Christian Taylor's 45.07 in 4th!

Shakima Wimbley took the Women's 400 in 50.88, a Meet Record!
Sam Kendricks won again, here with a PV of 19-0.75!
And Dafne Schippers returned to the W column with her 200 of 22.44!

Not at Hengelo, but a good JT came from Magnus Kirt, whose 290-2 is the new National Record of Estonia!

Sarah Pagano took a competitive Freihofer's 5000 for Women!
Her 15:48 took the measure of Stephanie Bruce's 15:53.
But a fast-closing Allie Kieffer--one of a pair of American heroines at the NYC Marathon last year--sprinted hardest to almost nail 3rd placer Diane Nikuri, both being given 15:56's!
However, the best mark (IMHO!) goes to HS'er Kelsey Chmiel!!
She finished in 10th, time of 16:45.
While I'm sure she has a sub-16 in her, it's nonetheless rare for HS''ers to run Pro Road Races during their HS season--and to finish 10th adds luster to her performance!
BTW, Emma Bates ended 6th in 16:09.

Well, I thank you for sticking with me through this SECOND production of this post!!
(See above!)

Coming SOON---probably late on the 5th, or early on the 6th--will be my NCAA Previews!!
I plan on doing one for each sex!

And Bislett is coming soon also, as well as the Portland Track Festival, plus that NY State HS meet featuring Ms Tuohy!!

See you soon!



6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, friend, here we go again!
      I;m nOT a computer person, despite being ON one most of each day, every day!
      I still have to refer to my VERY simply written step-by-step instructions in order to copy & paste something!
      As for what you're talking about, I have no idea what you mean about Blogspot's "cramped interface"!!
      I tupe on the space provided! It's not "cramped" to me.
      I mean, I use LOTS of 8 X 10.5 college ruled paper, and I don't feel cramped by that either. If they had paper that measured a foot by two feet, I'd say that's too much space!
      I work with the space I'm given!
      It works fine for me!
      I still have no idea WHICH key I hit accidentally that made the post disappear (except for the title).
      It's happened twice---maybe 3 times---over the 4 years and 6 months I've done thois blog--nearly 500 long posts!!
      As a writer, I pay attention to FORM as well as content!
      For this blog, my content are mostly names and numbers!
      But I try to write in a conversational tone, make it entertaining as well as informative!
      I think I've succeeded!
      As to form, I separate a lot of my results--giving an athlete or a mark their own space!
      That's why I put a space between many of the results I present!
      It LOOKS better, and it's easier to read!!
      (Although as my posts have grown in length, I've chosen to group many marks together by event, or event group, such as jumps or distances!
      But I try not to make even those too long--without a space!
      Anyway, I thank you for the suggestion, but I'll keep on doing what I'm doing!
      As for saving my post as I write them ---frequently---I'd consider that a waste of time---on the RARE chance I might lose my post!!
      Anyway, the LESS complicated I make my time on the computer, the better!!
      See you soon with the NCAA Previews!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This COULD turn into a contentious & lengthy discussion, but let me point out something about how I view my writing "career"!
      It took a 180 degree turn the second I bought a computer in July of 2009!
      Prior to then, I wrote my stuff longhand on the same paper I use for my Record Book!
      Very rarely did I write my 1st drafts on the typewriter!
      And I wrote a LOT!!
      Poems, song lyrics, essays, personal prose, reviews & critiques, even some books!!
      Very little published, but I WROTE them!!
      But computer "writing" isn't really writing, in my opinion!
      It's like writing your 1st draft on a typewriter!
      Truman Capote was critical of Kerouac's On the Road when he said "That's not writing; It's typing!"
      Writing stuff on a computer isn't comfortable for me---even after 9 years!
      It's easier, but not comfortable!
      (That's why I try to transcribe my best stuff onto paper with a BIC pen!
      Do "serious" writers do it differently?
      Probably!
      But Bob Dylan---my hero!---wrote his 2004 memoir on a manual typewriter that was 30 years old!!
      Writers are individuals---so I can't imagine there aren't many writers who do as I do!
      There are probably 1000's of bloggers using Blogspot---it's free, and for me, does the job I ask of it!
      My blogs looks good, IMO!
      As for editing, I do on the computer what I did for my manuscripts when I wrote longhand---I read it, find errors or typos, and correct them!
      Did you know I stopped writing poetry when I went on computer?
      I've probably written less than 10 poems or song lyrics in the past 9 years, and some of THEM were forced--meaning I wrote them JUST to prove I could sti;ll WRITE a poem!!
      Sure, my computer "writing" is good---IMHO---but it's also different from what I wrote on paper!
      My blog is my writing career's last refuge---and sometimes I feel like it's the Alamo during its 13 day siege!!
      Well, MY siege has lasted 9 years!!
      Enough!
      Gotta prepare my NCAA Previews!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete