Tuesday, January 22, 2019

2018 AOY's, New 2019 Marks, and More!

Only returning to blogging on January 9th--and having been "out of it" for much of the latter half of '18, I considered NOT doing my AOY's etc for the World & US--which I normally have done on December 31st!
But come on, friends, pass up the AOY's??
Hell, no!!

That said, it being well into the 2018-2019 INdoor season, I'm going to do a truncated version of my picks!
Besides, I have a number of marks I came across AFTER my previous post!!
But let's do the 2018 OUTdoor stuff first!!

World Athlete of the Year--MEN
ELIUD KIPCHOGE
This was a nail-biter.  How can you ignore the "World's Greatest Athlete"--as Decathlon World Record holders are known??
Could I call it a tie between Kipchoge and Kevin Mayer?
I COULD, but I chose NOT to!!

Honorable Mentions
Mayer of course stands way above the other HM's!
But add Christian Coleman, Noah Lyles, Emmanuel Korir, Yomif Kejelcha & Selemon Barega, Sergey Shubenkov, Mutaz Barshim, Michael Norman, Abderrahman Samba & Rai Benjamin, as well as Tim Cheruiyot to this list!!

US AOY--MEN
CHRISTIAN COLEMAN

HM's Noah Lyles, Clay Murphy, Norman, Christian Taylor, and Reggie Jagers

Performance of the Year--MEN
Kipchoge's 2:01:39 wins over Mayer's 9126 Dec score.
He had a wider margin from the old mark than Mayer did!

Personality of the Year--MEN
ELIUD KIPCHOGE--again!!
His stoic nature, his humility and confidence--and just the WAY he runs!
Oh my!!

World Athlete of the Year--WOMEN
I chose Mariya Lasitskene, even though Beatrice Chepkoech broke the only WR!!
The Russian's consistency, and her many attempts at higher heights after winning!!

HM's
Chepkoech leads this group.
But add Dina Asher-Smith, Shaunae Miller-Uibo, Sandra Perkovic, Sydney McLaughlin, Sifan Hassan and Helen Obiri, as well as Caterine Ibarguen!

US AOY
This one goes to SHELBY HOULIHAN

HM's
McLaughlin, Sandi Morris

Performance of the Year--WOMEN
This must go to Chepkoech's 8:44.32 Steeple!
I just hope it was legit---if you know what I mean!!

Personality of the Year--WOMEN
I'll give this one to SHELBY HOULIHAN
I just like her style, he snazzy hair colorings, and the way she finishes her races!!

Sorry for the brief comments!
(Or maybe you're cheering!!  LOL)

With due thanks to the newest eTN from T&FN, I have several marks to add.
But first a comment!

Having been VERY sick--even hospitalized for 20 days---and still recovering!---I didn't do as thorough a job of researching results as I've done in the past!
So I am not as reluctant to rely on the eTN to "fill in the spaces".
The Newsletter ALWAYS provides marks I somehow missed---even when I was much healthier!!
But my recovery, plus the fact I refuse to pay for the services of Mile Split, Runner Space, or Flotrack--causes me to use the eTN more than normal!!
That said, here's some "new" marks---

More Reno PV Summit results--
Matt Ludwig won the Men's event with his 18-8.75!
Saitu Yamamoto also cleared 18-8.75 in 2nd!
Mondo ended 6th with his 18-1!  (See previous post!)

Lexi Jacobus took a strong 3rd behind Ekaterina Stefanidi and Katie Nageotte, her height being 15-3.50--a clear Collegiate leader!!
Morgann LeLeux, Alysha Newman, and Annie Johnigan all topped 14-11.50!!
The first pair tied for 4th, with Johnigan taking 6th!!

More good WT's--
Payton Otterdahl tossed the WT out 77-8.25.
He's now 16th A-T Collegiate, and 20th A-T US!

Janeah Stewart extended her PR by inches, her 79-3.75 keeping her 10th A-T US.
But it does move her from 11th A-T World to 10th, tied with 1 other!

Brittany Brown sped a 300 in 36.30, making her 7th A-T US, and 11th A-T World, tied with 1 other!
Britton Wilson's 37.71 makes her 5th A-T HS!!

Georganne Moline ran the 600 in 1:27.59--but it's not a PR!

Isaiah Jewett ran the 3-lapper in 1:15.95, making him 8th A-T Collegiate, and 11th A-T US!!
But he misses the World list by just 0.05 seconds!!
Ending 2nd to Jewett was Thomas Staines, whose 1:16.38 makes him 11th A-T Collegiate!

A good HS Men's 1000 saw Matthew Payamps run 2:25.09, making him 12th A-T HS!!
Second was Theo Woods in 2:25.95, which makes him 20th A-T HS!!

Remember Kayla Davis from my previous post??
She ran Frosh Class Records in the 300--times of 38.03 and 37.92!
Well, she tried a 400, and ran 53.30!!

This makes her 12th A-T HS!!
And she misses the Frosh Class Record by only 0.07 seconds!!

I have a couple of HJ marks to report---which are a full 8 inches apart---both by Women!!

One comes from Mariya Lasitskene, whose 6-8 retook the World lead from Anna Chicherova!
But Chicherova ended 2nd with her 6-7 leap!!
Lasitskene ties the Age 26 Record!!
(She turned 26 on January 14th!!)

The other HJ'er is Shelby Tyler!
Pardon me if you've never heard of her!
But her 6-0 leap broke a TWELVE-way tie for my 24th A-T Performer!!
No really big names from those eliminated, but the oldest marks dated from 1976 and 1980!!
(And now I have a REALLY messy page to redo!!
BTW, the jump makes her 11th A-T HS, tied with 8 others!!

Sooooo, folks, how is this INdoor season going so far, almost 7 weeks into it??

Pretty damn fine, thank you!!
(See previous posts for all the details!!

We began with that incredible Women's 5000 at Boston U on December 1st!

Ms Lasitskene (& Chicherova) have made the Women's HJ an early key event!!

HS'ers have run amok!!
The Bullis Men's sprint Relayers, Taylor Ewert's great Walk, and Trey Knight's massive HSR in the Pro WT!!

Would you believe Athing Mu misses the WORLD lead in the 400 by a mere 0.01 seconds??!!

Grant Holloway exploded early in the 60H!

The sprints have been slow to develop--except for the speedy 300's!!
Some fast 600's too!!

Not much from the horizontal jumps--from either sex!!

Some decent PV'ing, but nothing REALLY spectacular!!

Most of the Professionals have yet to begin their seasons!
That should come soon!!

Not much from the distances--except for Ewert's Walk, and the OT marks from Yomif Kejelcha!!
(Which of course count for NOTHING!!)

Emily Sisson ran that strong Half at Houston!!

Bottom line--more than you'd expect, it being just January 22nd!!

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment