Monday, July 27, 2015

Corrections & Additions

If you read my previous post--about the Pan American Games and the London Diamond League meet--then you know I GOOFED!

As I was re-reading my post AFTER first releasing it to Twitter and Facebook, I found a couple of minor errors, so decided to correct them--as I often do.
BUT I must have hit a wrong key on my keyboard, or moved my mouse where I shouldn't have, because suddenly my page turned BLUE!

I don't know what that's called, or how it happens, but when I went to remove the blue color, I ALSO removed a large chunk of my text.
As I explained in a note at the bottom of my previous post, the text was lost from the middle of Elaine Thompson's name (!!) to the sentence about Usain Bolt and "hedging one's bets" against him!
In other words, almost the ENTIRE text from the London meet report was suddenly GONE!!

And though I tried, I couldn't retrieve it!
So my only solution was to try to remember what I'd written---including my rambling rant against Salazar's handling of Mary Cain---and try to REWRITE it---from memory!

For the most part, I succeeded.
But in rereading my post AFTER releasing it (AGAIN!!) to the social media network, I discovered I'd left out a couple of items I'd had in my original post, and I also discovered---with the great help of today's eTN from T&FN!!--a few errors of fact.

Long story short, that's the reason I'm writing this!
I want to get this out of the way before any NEW news comes in.
(Don't forget, the Stockholm DL meet is just 3 days away!)

Here's the items I omitted from my rewritten post.

In the London meet, I spoke of the poor distance races--relatively speaking!
The parts I lost were about the Men's 3000SC and the Women's 5000.

The Steeple was fairly slow (8:09+ for the winner), but American Andy Bayer continued his good 2015, running a super PR time of 8:18.08.
This makes him 17th A-T US!

The Women's 5K was a duel between Mercy Cherono and Molly Huddle, as Almaz Ayana had withdrawn prior to the meet!
Gabe Grunewald rabbited the first 3000 in 9:02.
Then Molly took the reins, building a lead of as much as 50 meters in the next few laps.

Then, with just 400 to go, Cherono--who had closed the gap--went ahead.
Huddle tried to stay with her, but Cherono's kick prevailed, and she won in 14:54+ by 3 seconds!
Good race!
Okay time.

As long-time readers of this blog know, I rely on my metric conversions (from or to feet and inches!) on my own T&F Record Book's collection of converted marks
For the most part, these were gotten from the pages of T&FN magazine.
But not ALL of the possible marks had converted numbers available.
So I ESTIMATED these numbers, and placed them on my personal list!

But not to worry--help is on the horizen!
I just ordered The Big Gold Book from T&FN.
It has---I've heard!!--a complete list of metric conversions!
When I receive that book---in a few days, I hope!--I'll throw away my own "conversions chart".

Until then, I rely on my eTN to inform me of any errors I made.
And I DID make some significant errors in my recent post!
Here are the corrections!

Shawn Barber's 5.93 make in the London PV translates to 19-5.50, NOT 19-5.25 as I said.
This changes quite a bit!
First, it changes his Canada National Record to 19-5.50.
Second--and most importantly--it moves him ONto the World Top 24 Performers list!
(I'd said previously that he missed that list by 0.25 inches!)
So Barber is now 24th A-T World, tied with 2 others!

In the same vein, I reported Anzhelika Sidorova's mark in London as 15-8.75.
Nope!
It's 15-8.50!
However, there is no change in her World list status!

Another conversion error came with my report on O'Dayne Richards's SP in Toronto.
I'd said it was 71-3.25--as his metric mark was 21.69.
And that's what MY Book had!
But according to the eTN, 21.69 converts to "just" 71-2--NOT 71-3.25!
And so I'm going with that!
Thus, his Jamaica National Record is now 71-2.
And he is now 10.75 inches away from being 24th A-T World--not 9.50 inches, as I said in my last post!

The other errors came in my reporting on the Women's sprints in the Pan Am's!

Two were about Ecuador's Angela Tenorio.
First, her 22.59 semi was wind-aided (a 2.6 wind!).
So it's NOT a PR!!
The second came in the 100.
Tenorio's 10.99 Ecuador National Record did not come as winner of the final!
She was 2nd to winner Sherone Simpson's 10.95!!

Lastly, I omitted some important information from my report on Kaylin Whitney's great Pan Am meet.
My "new" information makes her experience there even GREATER!!

There were THREE rounds in the Women's 200, not just the two I reported.
In the heats, she finished 3rd in 22.88 to qualify for the semi.
Then she won her semi in 22.68.
And of course she won Gold in the final with her 22.65 run.
(Then she won another Gold with her anchor of the 4X100 Relay in Meet Record time!!  And she ran the heats--as anchor!--there too!)

I again apologize for my stupid mistake---whatever it was!!---that caused that "blue page" to disappear!
With my rewritten previous post---and this one of corrections and additions---I hope my report is more satisfying now!

See you in THREE days!!

Oh, I almost forgot!
(No, I DID forget!!  LOL)
I have a bit more to report!

Raphael Holzdeppe improved his PV best to 19-5.75
This makes him 23rd A-T World!

Nick Miller threw the Hammer 254-5 for the National Record of Great Britain.

Cuba's Roberto Skyers ran the 200 in a National Record 20.02 in Toronto.

Also at the Pan Am's, Kurt Felix's 2nd place mark in the Decathlon of 8269 is the new National Record of Grenada!

Finally, I missed the best LEGAL mark from Jeff Henderson's series in the Pan Am LJ.
His best legal mark of 27-11.50 is a PR.
He's now 8th A-T US, tied with 1 other.
On the World list, he's now 17th, tied with 1 other!

A bit of non-marks/records news.

It's been confirmed that Raven Saunders is transferring to the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), following her former SIU coaches, John and Connie Price-Smith!

Also, it SEEMS that Southern Illinois HT'er DeAnna Price is remaining at SIU for her Senior year!
It had been rumored that she also would follow the Smith's to Ole Miss!
Will update if she says anything different!

And, as noted in my previous post, Mary Cain is listed as an entrant in the Stockholm 3000.
But there's ALSO a 5000 for Women!
And guess who is now listed on the entry list?

Her first name starts with "G", and her last name starts with "D".
I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks!!
LOL

ADDED TEN MINUTES LATER!!!

I just checked the Stockholm DL's website to see what the latest entry lists looked like.
And surprise!---Mary Cain is no longer listed in the 3000!!
She WAS, but no longer!

Also, the website has a NEWS STORY saying Genzebe Dibaba (Sorry for filling in those above blanks!!  LOL) would be racing the 5000 in Stockholm on July 30th!

BUT the schedule of events does NOT show a 5000!!
The 3000 is listed---with latest entries---but no 5000!!
As of now, I'll go with the news story as the truth.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment