Monday, February 23, 2015

Now it's HS's turn!

You just can't even take a brief nap, or microwave your latest delicacy, before yet one MORE Pole Vault record is broken!!
Yes, here we go again!
And now it's a High Schoolers turn!

Lexi Weeks, she of the "Double Trouble" Weeks twins unit (the other being sister Tori), broke Desiree Freier's year-old HSR with a Vault of 14-3.25 at an Arkansas vaulters meet!

Sister Tori went out after clearing just 12-9.50--This might be the first time they haven't vaulted the same height in the same meet!!

Then Lexi cleared 13-3, 13-9 and the record height on first tries!
(There's a fantastic video showing ALL her jumps---from the 12-9 to the HSR--in real speed and slow-mo sequence!!)
Besides the HSR, she also gets the Senior Class record.
She moves from 4th A-T HS, where she was tied with sister Tori, to 1st.
She would be just 0.50 inches shy of making the A-T Collegiate list, if this were next year!

Another PV record went down---or should I say UP??
Mondo Duplantis is at it again!
He raised his own 9th Grade Class Record with a Vault of 16-9.50.
I believe this is his FOURTH raising of the Frosh mark this season!
Oh, and it's better than the TENTH Grade record too!!

Liguelin Santos made an attempt on the 600 meter WR in Canada.
He went out fast on the flat track, hitting approximate splits of 23+ and 48+, before finishing in 1:16.01.
Not the WR, but it's the National Record of the Dominican Republic.
And it makes him 18th A-T World.

Three more National Records were broken recently.
Abdulrahman Baala of Qatar ran his NR 800 in 1:45.48.
Greg Rutherford LJ'ed an NR for Great Britain with his 26-9.75.
And Suguru Osako, enroute to the 2 Mile at the January 31st Armory Invitational, passed 3000 meters in a Japan NR of 7:45.62.

In that same Armory race, Ben Blankenship passed 3000 meters in 7:45.44.
That made him 23rd A-T US.
Removed FROM my DDD was the iconic Sydney Maree, whose 7:45.90 from 1990 is GONE!

Three more HS marks had some impact on my lists...or almost did!
Ryan Clark sprinted 200 meters in 21.22, making him 11th A-T HS, tied with 3 others.
James Asselmeyer ran 1000 meters in 2:26.53, making him 23rd A-T HS.
But Chinne Okoronkwo's 2015-leading TJ of 41-4 just misses my DDD--by one-half inch!

The Tokyo Marathon was won by Endeshaw Negesse for the Men, time of 2:06:00.
And for the Women, it was Birhane (no relation!) Dibaba, who ran 2:23:15.
Lauren Kleppin hit the wall, running just 2:37 and change.

And now I have some mea culpas to perform!!

As I've mentioned more than once, I look at the lists and results that TFRSS puts out to see what obscure Collegiate marks I might have missed.
I also noted that this website has HUGE flaws.

One of those is that they print NON-EXISTENT marks!!
(Nice way to run a business whose credo SHOULD be accuracy of facts!)

In my last post, I told the "funny" story of Devin Stanford, whose 66-7 "SP" turned out to be a Weight Throw mark!!
A tiny bit of difference, yes?!

Well, this time, they got the EVENT right---but not the mark!!

Another female SP'er, whom I also made note of in my previous post, name of Vivian Brandhoff, did NOT make a "Raven Saunders-style" leap forward in her PR!
No, her 58-1.25 mark, which is 17.71 metric, turns out to have been THREE METERS less!!
It was 14.71, not 17.71 metric!
And that's in the 48+ foot range!
Sorry, Vivian, but keep trying!!

Hello, REAL world!
Goodbye, TFRSS!!!

Then there's that 7.21 in the 60 I reported by Ewa Swoboda.
I said it tied the Age 17 World Record.
Well, I think it may have been mis-reported
The only mark I see for her (in the latest eTN!) is a 7.24.
I'll check further, and will report next time anything I find!

ADDED MINUTES AFTER POSTING!!
Looks like I'm right about Swoboda!!
And not only that, I BEAT the eTN to the punch!!
Their latest issue has marks through yesterday, the 22nd!
Swoboda ran the 7.21---confirmed by the IAAF!!--on the 21st!
So unless the IAAF is wrong---Don't say a word!!  LOL---Ms Swoboda is the co-holder of the Age 17 record for the 60!

And I have one more mea culpa to make, but this one is MY fault!!
I mistakenly translated Katerina Johnson-Thompson's LJ as 22-8.75.
It's actually 22-9!!
(See, sometimes mistakes can be for the GOOD!!)

As a reminder, here's the PROBABLE schedule of posts I'll be doing through the next 5 weeks.

March 1--Records and Marks from the USATF meet.
March 7--Records and Marks from the European Championships.
March 11 or 12--Predictions of possible Meet Records for the NCAA and NBIN meets, done in separate posts.
March 14--Records and Marks from the NCAA meet.
March 15--Records and Marks from the NBIN meet.
March 16-20--My 2015 INdoor season wrap-up, including AOY picks, etc.  (Not sure of exact date, but most likely in that 5 day range!)
March 21-25--My 2015 OUTdoor preview posts, including Age and Class Record predictions.
March 26-31--My first 2015 OUTdoor season report of (I HOPE!!) great Records and Marks!

See you in a few days--unless something truly spectacular happens!!
LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment