Sunday, September 14, 2014

Outdoors done--Indoors coming

The outdoor 2014 season done?
Well, not quite.
We still have the Talence Multis, plus some Marathons (and a couple of relatively minor regional champs), before we can truly wrap this outdoor season into a nice neat package.
So this post will report a few last good marks, then try to give some sense of where this blog will go until the 2014-15 Indoor season begins.

A couple of Americans had good 3000's in Rieti.

Ryan Hill ran 7:38.64.
He's now 14th A-T US.

Lopez Lomong followed in 7:39.81.
He moves into 19th place on the A-T US list!

Noah Lyles became the HS Soph Class record holder in the 200 with his 20.71.

Minna Nikkanen now holds the National Record of Finland with her 14-10 PV.

Suguru Osaka ran 7:40.09 for 3000.
That's the new Japan National record.

Godfrey Mokoena TJ'ed 56-11 for the National Record of South Africa.
This was at the Continental Cup.

Also at that meet, the Women's 100H produced a couple of good marks.

Dawn Harper-Nelson won in a new Meet Record time of 12.47.

Second to her was England's Tiffany Porter.
Her 12.51 broke Jessica Ennis's National Record.

As you all know, I deal with T&F events run on either 400 meter tracks outdoors, or 200 meter tracks indoors.
Thus, I pay little attention to Road races (except for the Marathon), or to Cross Country.
But I said "little" attention.
I didn't say "no" attention!

So I must report on a great Road Mile, the Fifth Avenue Mile, held yesterday.

Jenny Simpson won it in 4:19.4, just nipping a surging Brenda Martinez, who ran 4:19.6.

Fourteen women broke 4:30.
And 8 of those were Americans!

The NOP women (except for Shannon Rowbury, who finished 2nd in the 1500 at the Continental Cup) were out in full force.
And somewhat shockingly, it wasn't Mary Cain who led that little pack!

Cain finished 10th in 4:25.5.
Not a bad time, considering she's run rarely this entire outdoor season.
You need to race to stay sharp.

No, it was Jordan Hasay who won the "NOP race".
And she did it with a Mile "PR" of 4:23.9.
(Of course, Road times do NOT count as PR's, at least not as TRACK PR's!!)

Treniere Moser was right behind Hasay!

Cain said, in her post-race interview, that she'll be running the USATF Road 5000 Championship next week!

Generally, it's safe to say that the next Indoor season will begin by early December.
You might remember that Abbey D'Agostino, as well as 2 or 3 others, ran good 5000's in early December.
Their times were in the low 15:40's, and Abbey D's time was the best-ever for a December Indoor race!

That means Indoor T&F "starts" in just over 11 weeks!

Until then, here's a general idea of what to expect from this blog.

1. I will, of course, report any marks or records to come from the above-listed events, or anywhere else!

2. I will do my 2014 Outdoor season wrap-ups.  This will include choosing my Athletes of the Year in all 4 categories (World, US, Collegiate, and HS).

3. I'll introduce some parts of my T&F Record Book I've only mentioned in passing so far, such as my Combined Events leaders.

4. I'll provide some interesting (??) trivia, from the season, and from my Book!

5. Finally, as Indoors approaches (Starting in November?), I'll do some previews of that upcoming season.

Remember, I only started this blog last December 9th.
(I'll probably look back at that first year around that time!)
So you should also recall that, because it was so late in the year, I had to go back to the 2013 Indoor season, and wrap that up (And basically do the same for the 2013 Outdoor season!), before I could start reporting on the 2013-14 Indoor season!

This year, I won't have to do that.
The 2014 Indoor season has already been covered in full detail!
(Read my first 40 or so posts, all reporting on that Indoor season!)

And this goes, for the most part, with the 2014 Outdoor season as well.

Sorry, but I can't offer any specific dates for these upcoming posts.
The next 2 months or so are pretty much my "vacation from blogging" time.
However, you can rest assured that I'll do what I stated above!

See you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for the great reporting all season long. I have enjoyed all your posts very much and they have enhanced my experience as a track and field fan. I'm also looking forward to the various off-season wrap-up posts that you mentioned, as well as full coverage of next season!

    ReplyDelete