Monday, December 9, 2013

Track and Field has a Record for YOU to break--but which one?

This is my first blog, so bear with me.
Track and Field Records have been around forever, it seems.
They've gone through massive changes, with all kinds of confusing side issues to blur their significance.
With this blog, I intend to HONOR the breaking of records in our favorite sport.
There are several sources where you can find T&F records.
Books, magazines, websites, Twitter, maybe even other blogs.
With THIS blog, I hope to CENTRALIZE and bring together ALL (Well, most!) of the massive amount of records broken.
I will concentrate on 4 central groups of marks: World, American, Collegiate, and High School.
Within these 4 core groups, I will expand on the records, with key facts, trivia, what the records mean, who held them, who MIGHT hold them in the future (Meaning...predictions!!), and anything else I can think of.
This blog was born from my lifelong obsession with T&F records, to the point I created and compiled my OWN T&F Record Book, which I will use as the key source for what I write.
Therefore, for this initial post, it's probably a good idea to tell you some "rules" I live by when considering a new entry for my Record Book.
What this really comes down to is a list of marks I do NOT accept!!

1. I won't accept indoor marks made on Oversize Tracks.
2. I won't consider 1600 or 3200 meter High School marks, nor marks converted from them, such as converting a 1600 time to a one mile time.
3. I go along with Track and Field News magazine's "rule" about Collegiate marks.  They (and I) don't consider marks made by collegians after the NCAA Championship meet!
4. Enroute marks, if officially timed, are eligible.  (Thus, Mary Cain's enroute 9:04.51 3000--to her 9:38.68 two mile--is considered her 3000 High School Record indoors.)

I will go much further into all of this, sometimes with opinionated commentary, in future blogs.

With the 2014 indoor season upon us, the first several blogs will center on indoor records.
I'm hoping all those interested in T&F records, whether the history and facts about them, or whether you want to know what the records are, so YOU can challenge them, will read this blog.
While centered on "elite" athletes, EVERY T&F athlete can break a record...or try to.
Even if it's "just" a personal record (PR).
Because, guess what, even a WORLD record is someone's PR!!

Welcome to AaronK's Track and Field Record Book!
Hope to see you again!

1 comment: